Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Adoptive/Foster Camp





I recently participated in one of the best, most organized camps ever. JG is the director of the camp for 100+ adopted children and their foster/birth siblings. It is held in Jackson's Gap, Alabama at Camp ASCCA. This camp is held to give adopted and children in foster care the chance to associate with other adoptees/foster children and and give the deserving parents a rest.



I was cabin counselor to 15 girls age 8-10. I had two wonderful assistants who worked hard and really connected with these girls. Thanks C and L. You were the best!

This was my 5th year as a camp counselor and every year I learn something new. I learned to create changing rooms which helped keep clothes off the shower floor which in turn kept them from getting wet. I learned to get the girls to put their dirty clothes directly into their laundry bags which helps on the last night when we have to pack. I learned to ask for help with homesick girls. I learned that while plastic tablecloths may make interesting evening wear for the red carpet night it's extremely hot and it can embarass the campers. I learned that activities/crafts during rest time instead of naps helps the girls sleep at night. I learned that you can survive no a/c though it is uncomfortable (broken the first day-fixed the second)

Children are precious and deserve the best life has to offer. Thank you to all adoptive and foster parents who make the lives of these children better.

No comments: